How to use and edit this chart template
To edit this chart template, execute following steps.
- Right click on the chart to open chart menu. Click Edit Data. This will open the linked Excel sheet (see video below).
- Enter main categories in column A.
- Enter sub-categories within each main category in column B.
- Enter data values for each of the sub-category in column C. These data values determine the size of each sub-category segment. Larger the data value, bigger is the segment.
- You can add your data manually or copy data from Excel or any other data source.
- Close the Excel sheet.
- Restyle and customize to change text, fonts, colors etc. to match your brand guidelines, corporate identity / corporate design and preferences.
- Modify the template for your own use case, industry or job function. Easily change, add or delete categories and corresponding data series, if you have more/less data than provided in this ready-to-use template.
- File format: PPTX. This template is compatible with Office 365, PowerPoint 2016 and above.
Use case example: Product sales performance
How are the five products performing in terms of sales numbers in United Kingdom, Canada and North America? Which country is generating most sales and which products are more in demand in each of the three countries?
The treemap chart in above example answers these questions by presenting an analysis of sales performance of 5 products in 3 countries during a given period.
The three categories/nodes (countries in this example) are shown using banners at the top. The nodes are differentiated using different colors for visual distinction. Under each node are nested individual components (products in this example) belonging to respective nodes.
Size of each rectangle as well as column width of each category/node is determined by volume/quantity it represents, in relation to other components within the category as well as between categories. Thus showing hierarchical part-to-whole relationship.