In this chart template;
- Highest and lowest values are auto highlighted using conditional formatting.
- Average value is derived from absolute numbers using formulas.
Use case example: Daily calls report
The line chart in this example shows (a) number of calls made by a sales rep on weekdays each week, indicated by orange line (b) average number of calls during the period, indicated by green line (c) minimum threshold / target given to the sales rep, indicated by area colored in red and (d) the points of highest and lowest calls made, automatically highlighted with data labels inside the markers.
A quick look at the chart shows that the rep has made 82 calls a day on an average, which is well above the minimum target of 60 calls a day. Looking at the area in red, the rep has fallen below target on 4 days during the period. The chart also shows that lowest number of calls were recorded on Tuesday of week 1 and highest number of calls were recorded on Friday of Week 2. An even careful look reveals that comparatively the performance has been below par in week 1 and week 3.
This data gives a good starting point for analysis and further investigation to identify what caused the drops and spikes. Also, what steps can improve the performance further. A must have chart for daily report and monthly report of activities or sales.
How to use and edit this chart template
To edit this chart template, execute following steps.
- Right click on the chart to open chart menu. Click Edit Data. This will open the linked Excel sheet (see video below).
- Enter parent categories in column A.
- Enter child categories / sub-categories in column B. Parent categories and child categories are grouped together and plotted on X-axis.
- Enter corresponding series data for each sub-category in column C.
- Average of the series data is derived from numeric data. The series data and data average is plotted on Y-axis, in form of line chart.
- Enter the minimum threshold / target value in cell D3.
- Close the Excel sheet.
- File format: PPTX. Compatible with PowerPoint 2010 and above.