Actual vs. Budget Variance
highlight and report below budget/target values.
This template is conditionally formatted to automatically identify category values below specified budget / target / threshold and highlight the X-axis category labels in different color to draw attention to under-performing categories.
- Pre-built data setup with comments, so that you don’t have to spend time figuring out how to setup data correctly.
- Uncluttered charts with professional formatting and styles that automatically adopt to your data, so that you don’t have to find, learn and fine tune tens of hidden settings.
- Out-of-box single/dual axis charts for numeric, percentage and currency data, with pre-placed data labels, legends and offbeat markers for engaging presentations.
- Fully functional data chart with real world data.
The dynamic column chart in above example compares number of units sold in each month from January to December. The budget/target/threshold is set to 2750 units. X-axis category labels for months where the number of units sold are less than 2750 are highlighted in red font.
If we plot the same data in a normal chart, it would be quite difficult and time consuming to separate good months from the under-performing ones. But using this conditionally formatted chart template, you can instantly make out that January, April, June and November are under-performing months.
The dynamic font color distinction based on data values helps in highlighting and differentiating the under performers from the rest, at a glance. It instantly draws audiences’ attention without a need to compare the heights of columns. This helps in decreasing the cognitive load and process the data faster.
You can use this dynamic chart for monthly report and dashboard.
To edit chart data, execute following steps.
- Right click on the chart to open chart menu. Click Edit Data. This will open the linked Excel sheet (see video below).
- Enter target / budget / threshold value in row 2.
- Enter categories in column A (plotted on X-axis) and corresponding series data in column B (plotted on Y-axis).
- Close the Excel sheet.
- This dynamic column chart (also known as vertical bar graph) template for PowerPoint is conditionally formatted to automatically change the font colors of categories / X-axis labels, when the values representing the columns fall below specified budget/ forecast / target.
The following video shows how you can easily edit data and customize the chart in minutes, for any data analysis presentation, irrespective of industry or job function.
PPTX. Compatible with PowerPoint 2010 and above.Instant access and download. Can be saved as PDF, PNG, JPG to insert in MS Word or in other documents or to use on websites and blogs.
See More Related Charts