In this chart template;
- Difference between actual and target values is derived from absolute values using formulas.
- When actual values are short of target, the underachieved target portion is auto highlighted in red.
- When actual values are above target, the overachieved portion is auto highlighted in green.
How to use and edit this chart template
To edit this chart template, execute following steps.
- Right click on the chart to open chart menu. Click Edit Data. This will open the linked Excel sheet (see video below).
- Enter categories in column A. They are plotted on X-axis.
- Enter target / budget values in column B. They are plotted on primary Y-axis and indicated using a thick black line.
- You can add your data manually or copy data from Excel or any other data source.
- Close the Excel sheet.
- You can set same or different target for each month (easily replace months with products, employees, branches, locations etc.).
- Difference between actual and target values is derived from absolute values using formulas. The difference is plotted on secondary Y-axis.
- When actual values are short of target, the underachieved target portion is auto highlighted in red color.
- When actual values are above target, the overachieved portion is auto highlighted in green color.
- Easily change currency symbol from USD to any other currency symbol.
- Easily change Y-axis values from currency to absolute numbers or percentages.
- Modify the template for your own use case, industry or job function. Easily change, add or delete categories and corresponding data series, if you have more/less data than provided in this ready-to-use template.
- File format: PPTX. Compatible with PowerPoint 2013 and above.
Use case example: Actual vs. target revenue
In the example above, actual monthly revenue generated by an organization is compared against target / budget revenue for each month. Monthly target is indicated by a thick black line. The underachieved target portion is auto-highlighted in red and the overachieved target portion is auto-highlighted in green color.
At a glance, you can spot that except for March, August and September, actual performance is below planned budget. In other words, targets are unmet in nine months of the year.
As this chart draws attention to key findings at a glance, it can be a great chart for monthly report and performance dashboard.