In this chart template;
- Categories are grouped on X-axis.
- Percent change is derived from numeric data, using formulas.
Use case example: Current and projected annual revenue
The chart in above example presents annual revenue generated by an organization during last 5 years and the projected revenue for next 4 years, with percent growth in year-on-year revenue.
The columns in this chart template represent dollar values and the line represents percentage increase (auto-calculated) in revenue over previous year. The actual and projected groups are shown along X-axis.
When you want to present comparison of both the actual revenue earned over last few years and the projected revenue for next few years, you can either use two different chart types or use a chart with grouped X-axis, like in this example. You can further enhance the visual communication by using different color shades for two groups.
How to use and edit this chart template
To edit this chart template, execute following steps.
- Right click on the chart to open chart menu. Click Edit Data. This will open the linked Excel sheet (see video below).
- Enter category groups in column A. For example, enter group 1 as ‘Actual Revenue’ and group 2 as ‘Projected Revenue’.
- Enter categories in column B (plotted on X-axis) and corresponding data in column C (plotted on primary Y-axis).
- Percentage change / percentage increase or decrease is derived from numeric data entered in column B. This is plotted on secondary Y-axis in form of line chart with markers and data labels.
- Close the Excel sheet.
- File format: PPTX. Compatible with PowerPoint 2010 and above.
Watch the following video for;
- How to edit chart data.
- How to add categories and data series, if you have more data than provided in this ready-to-use template.
- Dynamic calculations of percent change and display on second Y-axis.
- How to change chart colors easily.
- How to change currency from USD to any other currency.