This template is conditionally formatted to automatically identify category values below specified budget / target / threshold and highlight the columns as well as X-axis labels in different color to draw attention to under performing categories.
How to use and edit this chart template
To edit this chart template, execute following steps.
- Right click on the chart to open chart menu. Click Edit Data. This will open the linked Excel sheet (see video below).
- Enter target / budget / threshold value in row 2.
- Enter categories in column A (plotted on X-axis) and corresponding data in column B (plotted on Y-axis).
- You can add your data manually or copy data from Excel or any other data source.
- Close the Excel sheet.
- Restyle and customize to change text, fonts, colors etc. to match your brand guidelines, corporate identity / corporate design and preferences.
- Columns corresponding to categories where the actual values are below target / budget / forecast, are automatically identified and highlighted in a different color.
- X-axis labels are highlighted in red color for below target categories.
- Easily change Y-axis values from absolute numbers to currency or percentages.
- You can specify your own budget / forecast / target value in the data set up.
- The data can be numeric, percentages or currency values.
- The default color for columns that meet or surpass targets is gray and for below budget values is a shade of red. You can easily change the colors.
- Modify the template for your own use case, industry or job function. Easily change, add or delete categories and corresponding data series, if you have more/less data than provided in this ready-to-use template.
- File format: PPTX. Compatible with PowerPoint 2010 and above.
Watch the following video for;
- How to edit chart data.
- Dynamic functioning of the chart.
- How to change chart colors easily.
Use case example: Actual sales against target
The dynamic column chart (vertical bar graph) PowerPoint template in above example compares actual monthly sales of an organization against set target/budget/threshold.
The dynamic columns color distinction based on data values helps in highlighting and differentiating the under performers from the rest, at a glance. It instantly draws audiences’ attention without a need to compare the heights of columns. This helps in decreasing the cognitive load and process the data faster.